Folinic acid is an alternative form of folic acid that bypasses some of the steps in the conversion of folic acid to the active form, 5-methyltetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF). Folinic acid supports healthy methylation pathways, homocysteine metabolism, DNA replication and foetal development.
- Supports healthy methylation pathways in the body.
- Supports healthy homocysteine metabolism.
- Involved in the synthesis of S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe).
- Helps form red blood cells.
- Supports a healthy brain and nervous system function.
- Helps support cognitive health, with healthy neural development, growth and repair.
- Involved in growth and cellular replication, and contributes to normal growth of the foetus.
- Vegetarian and vegan friendly.
Each capsule contains:
Calcium folinate 694 mcg
equiv. folinic acid (activated vitamin B9) 500 mcg
Adults: Take 1 capsule once daily or as directed by your healthcare practitioner.
Use of folate supplements may mask a B12 deficiency state. It is recommended that patients be screened for vitamin B12 deficiency.
Doses above 1000mcg per day should also be avoided to prevent precipitation or exacerbation of neuropathy related to vitamin B12 deficiency. However, there is some evidence that doses of 5mg per day orally for up to four months can be used safely if vitamin B12 levels are routinely measured.
Very high doses of 15 mg per day can cause significant central nervous system (CNS) and gastrointestinal side effects.
Theoretically, high doses of folic acid might increase toxicity of 5-fluorouracil.
There is some evidence that folic acid supplements reduce the efficacy of methotrexate in the treatment of acute lymphoblastic leukemia, and theoretically they could reduce its efficacy in the treatment of other cancers.
Folic acid can have direct convulsant activity in some people, reversing the effects of phenobarbital and primidone, and worsening seizure control.